Home Broad St Q&A Icons Progress Cookies

Nos. 97-99 Broad Street (south side) - 2001


Building & Occupier Details

 

Building:
No. 99, Broad Street

This building has been around since at least the 1890s and probably dates back to 1882, when it was occupied by hatters and hosiers Thomas Reed & Son.

 

No. 99
JJB Sports (sports retailer)

JJB Sports was a sports retailer founded in Wigan in 1903 by John Jarvis Broughton. Former footballer Dave Whelan acquired the shop in 1971 and grew it into a chain of 430 stores. It narrowly avoided administration in 2009 and was bought by Sports Direct in 2012.

 

Building:
Former Burton building II (late 1930s)

This building was erected in the late 1930s for menswear firm Burton. It either fully-replaced or refaced and reworked the old General Post Office erected in 1878. This occurred at some time after 1936, when a second Burton branch was opened at Nos. 73-74.

 

Nos. 97-98, Ground Floor
Racing Green (clothing retailer - menswear)

Racing Green is a menswear brand founded in 1991 by David Krantz and named after the classic colour of British racing cars. It was sold to Burton Group in 1996 who divested it as part of Rubicon Retail in 2002. They then sold it to Speciality Retail Group in 2003, which was then acquired by Baird Group in 2009.

 

Nos. 97-98, 1st Floor
Kelly Services (recruitment agency)

Kelly Services is an American recruitment and temping agency founded in 1946 by WIlliam Russell Kelly. Its UK subsidiary was established in 1992 and was sold to Italy's Gi Group, along with all of Kelly's other European operations, in 2024. Gi Group then absorbed and rebranded its acquisition.

 

Junction:
Junction with Chain Street

Chain Street has led south from Broad Street since mediaeval times. It connects to Minster Street and Gun Street and has always been narrow.

 

South to
Chain Street

Chain Street has been called that since at least 1611, when John Speed labelled it 'Chayne Lane' on his map. The chain in question was hung across its entrance to stop horses from entering St Mary's churchyard. Prior to that, as in Roger Amyce's survey of 1552, the street was known as Grope Lane.