Home Broad St Q&A Icons Progress Cookies

Nos. 48-49 Broad Street (north side) - 2012


Building & Occupier Details

 

Building:
Part of the Former H Samuel 'Jewel Centre'

This building was erected in 1966 as an ultra-modern three-storey 'Jewel Centre' for jeweller H Samuel, with a lift between the floors. It replaced two former shops on the site.

 

Passage to
Union Street

Nicknamed 'Smelly Alley' on account of the fishmongers', butchers' and greengrocers' shops that used to line it, Union Street was constructed in 1793 as a pedestrian alley linking Broad Street and Friar Street. It remained a private street until 1828.

 

No. 49
Vacant (no occupier)

This property was empty and unused.

2012 - The Carphone Warehouse moved out of No. 49, leaving it vacant. Its other shop at No. 120 remained open, but was now the only branch in Broad Street.

 

Building:
Former Timothy Whites building II (1958)

This building was erected for the chemist chain Timothy Whites in 1958, replacing the Gaumont Cinema. See also Nos. 9-10 (their previous premises).

 

Nos. 47-48
Boots (pharmacy)

Boots UK Limited, formerly Boots the Chemist Limited, is a pharmacy chain established by John Boot in 1849. Its logo and branding have barely changed in that time.