Home Broad St Q&A Icons Progress Cookies

Nos. 97-99 Broad Street (south side) - 2004


Building & Occupier Details

 

Building:
No. 99, Broad Street

This building has been around since at least the 1890s and probably dates back to 1882, when it was occupied by hatters and hosiers Thomas Reed & Son.

 

No. 99
Portman Building Society (building society)

The Portman Building Society was a mutual building society founded in London in 1881 as the Portman Chapel Temperance Permanent Benefit Building Society. It absorbed several other building societies during the 1980s and '90s but was itself merged into the Nationwide Building Society in 2006.

 

Building:
Former Burton building II (late 1930s)

This building was erected in the late 1930s for menswear firm Burton. It either fully-replaced or refaced and reworked the old General Post Office erected in 1878. This occurred at some time after 1936, when a second Burton branch was opened at Nos. 73-74.

 

Nos. 97-98, Ground Floor
The Officers Club (clothing retailer - menswear)

The Officers Club was a menswear chain founded in Sunderland in 1992 by Dave Charlton. It entered administration in 2008 but Dave Charlton bought it back out again. It entered administration again in 2011 and was bought by Blue Inc. After another brush with bankruptcy in 2016 it finally went under in 2018.

 

Nos. 97-98, 1st Floor
Kelly Services (recruitment agency)

Kelly Services is an American recruitment and temping agency founded in 1946 by WIlliam Russell Kelly. Its UK subsidiary was established in 1992 and was sold to Italy's Gi Group, along with all of Kelly's other European operations, in 2024. Gi Group then absorbed and rebranded its acquisition.

 

Junction:
Junction with Chain Street

Chain Street has led south from Broad Street since mediaeval times. It connects to Minster Street and Gun Street and has always been narrow.

 

South to
Chain Street

Chain Street has been called that since at least 1611, when John Speed labelled it 'Chayne Lane' on his map. The chain in question was hung across its entrance to stop horses from entering St Mary's churchyard. Prior to that, as in Roger Amyce's survey of 1552, the street was known as Grope Lane.