Home Broad St Q&A Icons Progress Cookies

Nos. 46A-47 Broad Street (north side) - 2002


Building & Occupier Details

 

Building:
Former Timothy Whites building II (1958)

This building was erected for the chemist chain Timothy Whites in 1958, replacing the Gaumont Cinema. See also Nos. 9-10 (their previous premises).

 

Nos. 47-48
Boots (pharmacy)

Boots UK Limited, formerly Boots the Chemist Limited, is a pharmacy chain established by John Boot in 1849. Its logo and branding have barely changed in that time.

 

Building:
Former Oatsheaf pub building (1932)

This building was constructed as a 1932 rebuilding of the Oatsheaf public house. This was part of a larger redevelopment plan by the brewery H&G Simonds, which then owned the freehold on Nos .40-46. It was designed by local architect FG Sainsbury.

 

No. 46, Ground Floor
Alliance & Leicester (bank)

Alliance & Leicester was formed as a building society in 1985 but demutualised in 1997. It was bought by Santander in 2008 and absorbed into Santander UK in 2010.

 

No. 46, 1st Floor
Vacant (no occupier)

This property was empty and unused.