Home Broad St Q&A Icons Progress Cookies

Nos. 46A-47 Broad Street (north side) - 2001


Building & Occupier Details

 

Building:
Former Timothy Whites building II (1958)

This building was erected for the chemist chain Timothy Whites in 1958, replacing the Gaumont Cinema. See also Nos. 9-10 (their previous premises).

 

Nos. 47-48
Boots (pharmacy)

Boots UK Limited, formerly Boots the Chemist Limited, is a pharmacy chain established by John Boot in 1849. Its logo and branding have barely changed in that time.

2001 - The other Boots at Nos 90-93 was vacated and turned into separate shop units, leaving this branch as the only Boots presence in Broad Street.

 

Building:
Former Oatsheaf pub building (1932)

This building was constructed as a 1932 rebuilding of the Oatsheaf public house. This was part of a larger redevelopment plan by the brewery H&G Simonds, which then owned the freehold on Nos .40-46. It was designed by local architect FG Sainsbury.

 

No. 46, Ground Floor
Alliance & Leicester (bank)

Alliance & Leicester was formed as a building society in 1985 but demutualised in 1997. It was bought by Santander in 2008 and absorbed into Santander UK in 2010.

2001 - The Alliance & Leicester's third planning application for No. 46 was approved and it was turned into a bank, with a new ground floor frontage incorporating an ATM.

 

No. 46, 1st Floor
Vacant (no occupier)

This property was empty and unused.